22 May 2008

Comfort Music



There are comfort food, comfort shoes, comfort rooms, comfort whatever. We all need them at one point in our lives. Right now for me, I am listening to my comfort music. I have quite a few of them in my PC which I play whenever I do not want to listen to people around me, or I just don’t want to be disturbed unnecessarily. With my ears plugged to the music, I can be on a beach floating on a raft under a blue cloudless sky reading a nice book … Unless my boss comes in, of course!

I am used to working and reading despite the sounds/noises around me. But sometimes the noise gets too much so I’d better turn to pleasant noise! Especially when two people on the left and right side of my desk stand and talk above my head (literally)! As if I am just a tree between two fences, or maybe I am the fence? That is way beyond what is normal, and so disrespectful. As I am writing this piece the voice of Yeng Constantino singing Hawak Kamay is blasting in my ear. Oh … so comforting, so uplifting, so relaxing. I’ve played it twice already and now I am playing it again. I never get tired of hearing her voice and the melody of this song. I think it reminds me of home and happy times with my family. I first heard it last year in April 2007 when I visited home. And so somehow I associate this song with happy times. And when I am feeling a bit hassled in the office, I just turn to it. I also have a set of gospel/ inspirational music, and songs from my yesteryears … a compilation of songs we used to sing way back in high school.

Listening to these songs comforts me and makes me feel a bit better and more upbeat towards life. And at 9:30 am, the day is still long and it is good not to be downhearted early in the morning, with still so many things to face as time moves on.

No comments: