08 December 2008

Pacman Power

Congratulations to Manny Pacquiao who really lived up to his dream by winning the dream fight! Congrats also to all supporters, known and unknown, esp. to the Pinoys. He is really the Pride of the Philippines. The underdog gets the upperhand! I was not able to watch it yesterday as we had to go out. Here in Thailand there was no free live telecast. I could have watched it through the internet though if I were at home. Anyway I was in the car after lunch when I sent a text to my Dad in Antique, Philippines. I asked him what was going on with the dream fight. He replied that it was not finished yet but Pacman had many hits already. It was not clear though whether it meant, “He was hit many times by de la Hoya” or “He hit de la Hoya many times”. After some time I received another text from him informing me that Pacquiao won!

Wow, what a relief! Here I was without a stake really in this fight or event and yet to be honest, I was also holding my breath. My only stake is that he is a fellow Pinoy. It was only in recent years that I heard of Pacquiao and I was just curious why he was so popular. A couple of years ago on our way to Baguio I had the opportunity to watch him play. We were on a Victory Liner bus and the TV was on. All the passengers were watching and cheering and there was a festive atmosphere in the bus. Along the road we could also see people grouping together watching the match. It was fun to watch and be part of the crowd, cheering and laughing. Good that he won then. Nobody even thought he would lose.

But this time around, during the dream fight, he was tagged as the underdog, with a disadvantage in height, weight and body built. Even in the local newspaper here I read that de la Hoya would win by knockout and Pacquiao by points. De la Hoya was even quoted that he himself would win by knockout and it would be a disaster if he would lose.

Pacquiao proved his detractors wrong. In the end he won by TKO! And what a win!

More on Pacquiao & the Dream Match:
Pacland
Pacquiao in Wikipedia
Replay of fight at Kinaray-a.com
Lainy's Musings
Kuerdas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i still don't understand how winning a boxing match brings the country pride. am i the only one who feels this way? ;-)

Carnation said...

am sure there are others who feel the same as you do. am sure also that for some, it is not the boxing per se but the fact that a pinoy won.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Carnation,
May I invite you to please join Filipinos Unite!!!. You may do so by commenting on my blog or by sending an email to melalarilla@gmail.com stating your name, address, name of blog and its url. Thank you so much and God bless.

Carnation said...

hi mel, left a comment in your blog. thanks for visiting