13 October 2008

made or maid?

I was reading the Bangkok Post Sunday yesterday and came across this word, "maid". It was used twice in the same article to refer to something somebody did. On page 12 Sunday People section, Mae Moo reported in the article, Some people just never learn, that Aon "maid" a complaint (about something) and that Four-Mod "maid" a complaint to the police (about something). Oooooppss maybe the editor missed this. It is quite unlikely that they were complaining about their maid. We often see a number of typo or grammatical errors in the Post, and in some other English language publications here. Oh well ... sometimes the meaning is changed. If they are funny, fine. But what if somewhere along the line some meanings really get misinterpreted?

5 comments:

Mortgage and More Blog said...

Too many times have I seen things like this happen. What is worst, I have missed them myself.

Carnation said...

that's true. thanks for stopping by and reading!

milai said...

LOL. And it was an English language publication, huh.

Carnation said...

it's both sad and funny actually. maybe my eye is just trained to do editing and proofreading as that is my work as well. that's why it is easy for me to spot. if i charged a certain amount for every mistake i saw, i would have been rich by now hi hi hi

Anonymous said...

Me too carnation, I can't help but notice writing mistakes like that. To me its very obvious.