19 February 2009

Updates on the Antique Rape-Slay Case

Re: my post entitled, "Sad, gruesome news" ... here are some email updates I received today from Antiqueno Sumakwel:

Our efforts to bring this case to national consciousness have borne fruit. GMA-7's 24 Oras reported about the case yesterday (2/18/09). Philippine Daily Inquirer's Ma. Ceres P. Doyo has written about it in her column today (PDI, 2/19/09). Malaya's Ellen Tordesillas first posted it on her column & on her blog (2/09/09). Also, the case has caught Malacanang's attention. Arroyo ordered PNP to tackle the case soonest (see below). I'm just curious why Malacanang acted only now (a day after GMA-7's report) when in fact I sent an e-mail about this case both to the DOJ's e-mail and DSWD's website as early as February 11, 2009. As an Antiqueno, I am really grateful for all your help and assistance. God bless us all.

From GMA-7's 24 Oras news:

For the latest Philippine news stories and videos, visit GMANews.TV


MANILA, Philippines – Press Secretary Cerge Remonde on Thursday said President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo wants to bring to justice the perpetrators of the rape-slay of a 16-year-old girl in Antique province.

In a text message to reporters, Remonde said President Arroyo directed Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director General Jesus Verzosa to follow up on the case, crack the police’s whip on those responsible for the crime, and send them behind bars.

“The President has already personally instructed Gen. Versoza to attend to the case with dispatch. The perpetrator or perpetrators must be put behind bars and suffer the consequences of their evil deeds," Remonde said.

Reports earlier said that at least three men supposedly gang raped and subsequently killed the victim in San Jose town, Antique on January 31.

The National Bureau of Investigation had earlier confirmed that the victim was raped but Remonde said “the PNP is still awaiting the autopsy report from the NBI."

Authorities are holding one of the suspects, GMA Newscast “24 Oras" reported Wednesday. The television report said the SIM card of the victim’s cellular phone was found in the suspect’s possession.

In his text message, Remonde said that if the reported details of the crime are proven true, “this could be one of the most dreadful cases in memory - unthinkable, to say the least."

Remonde added that President Arroyo also extended her sympathy to the victim’s family and “promised everything will be done to alleviate their sufferings and bring the culprits to justice." - Sophia Dedace, GMANews.TV

6 comments:

fonzee said...

oh my God, this is gross..
daw di ko magpati nga my Antikenyo ang maghimo kang amo kaja nga klase kang crime.
imagine, teenager ans suspect?
Oh God..

Dorothy L said...

Hello...This is so horrible.
Whenever I read about tragedies like this...I am embarrassed to be part of the human race.

All I can say is that I hope this abuser gets his final judgment day soon.

DorothyL

Carnation said...

@fonzee sakto gid daw hindi mapatihan pero natabo kabay may hustisya man

@DorothyL hoping the truth will be revealed.

thanks for visiting

milai said...

thanks for the update. hopefully justice will be served soon.

the first time i read about this in your post, i was actually wondering why it wasn't on the news. when i shared the story to my friends and colleagues, they thought it wasn't real as they haven't read about it in major papers or seen it on TV. at least now it has the media's attention and i just hope the authorities will expedite the solving of this case.

btw, i'll be in bangkok in march, maybe the 19th to the 22nd. i'll send you an email in a while. thank you. :)

Carnation said...

@milai yup let's hope for the best in this case. rgrds

fonzee said...

bisan di ko paryente ang victim i would still want justice for her.
this is so cruel..

Bible Inspiration